Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Andy Hughes... sweet dreams and thanks for the music...

As many of you have no doubt already read or heard elsewhere, former Orb band member and contributor Andy Hughes has passed away on Friday 12th June at the ridiculously young age of 44...

As many long-term fans of the Orb will testify & appreciate, their most productive and inspirational period between 1989-1999 was in no small way due to the input of Andy along with the good Dr.LX, Kris "Thrash" Weston and the rest of the crew members of HMS Orb. He contributed in no small way to what was the classic Orb sound and was especially involved with their 1997 album Orblivion, the successful single Toxygene, as well as the global tour which followed culminating in a sell out concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 1998. After the Orb, he started producing his own music as well as being sought out my other artists to add his own unique touches to their work.

Andy leaves a wife and a two children and my thoughts are with them and his immediate family at this painful time...

Andy’s funeral will take place at West Norwood Crematorium, Norwood Road SE 27on Monday 29th June ’09 at 11.45am. The service will be open to anyone wishing to attend. It is hoped to arrange a Tribute concert in the future to allow his many fans and friends to meet up. Any floral tributes to Funeral Directors W. Uden & Sons, 265 Southampton Way, Camberwell, London SE9 7EN or donations to the Liver Intensive Therapy Unit, Kings College Hospital via the web site www.justgiving.com/andyphughes

Rest in peace my friend, sweet dreams and thanks for the music...

2 comments:

lazy said...

Sad news hey?.I have asked Van to sort out your PW & tings.Have something to aks you would you like to join Van & me on our site with some postin"?as your a big Orb fan & you do have a lot of tunes that I don't have:( I think our members would enjoy your mixes & what you have to offer!. I know you run your blog/soulseek/& work prob,just been really nice to have you with us.Think about it & tell me what you think.Lazy

theORBscureDDJ said...

Very sad news indeed... & thanks for sorting out me access to Towers...

As for your offer, I am indeed incredibly flattered. I will be happy to help in any way I can with sourcing material etc so if that is enough, then that would be fine by me. I also have some archive Orb magazine clippings etc which could do with being scanned and a quality home for them to be posted...

If however you want more from me, then I just have far too much going on in my spare time to do your superb blog any justice. You have my email addy, so drop me a line and we'll discuss what your looking for and how best to get it to you...
Cheers
pete aka theORBscureDDJ

Do Robots Dream? [session 052]